Lisha Thimmaiah

Friday, July 26, 2013

Europe: Vienna to Epinal (Day 11 and 12)

It was my last few days in Europe. I was going to France. My excitement was all about going to Paris. I leave to the airport at about 5A.M from my hotel in Vienna. This was my worst travel plan. I was on the plane or travelling by train the whole day. Running around with my luggage Changing airports in Paris and then train stations in Strasbourg and Nancy. All I wanted to make sure I don’t miss my flight or the train. I couldn’t afford to wait more…I was exhausted.
I finally manage to reach Epinal at 7 in the evening only to find empty streets. All I knew was my Hotel was a 5 minutes’ walk from the train station. Not knowing which direction I walk and with just a few people around I go to almost every person asking for directions only to realize none of them are from Epinal and a few just nodding their heads to whatever I asked. It was irritating, my back ached and I longed for some food and a bed. And more over I wanted to see people, I wanted to see a crowded street. I just start walking not even having the strength to drag my luggage, I found a lady who told me the direction and in the next 5 minutes I was in the hotel. What a relief!!!...French food never tasted better and crawling into bed never felt so good.
The next day I was going to Clerval and Santhose for work. These are two small twin villages in France between the mountains. The people here are so warm and welcoming. I haven’t seen more polite people all my life. The landscape looks like in the posters. Mountains, Crystal clear River flowing down, a bridge full of flowers on its railings connecting the village. As the cool breeze hit my face, every person walking on the street greets me even after knowing I’m a total stranger. This place is a total different world. Totally disconnected from the rest of the world. It’s a happy world there. You see happy faces everywhere. Nothing looked fake, nothing looked strange, and nothing looked bad.  I wanted to stand and stare at all of this and I was happy here. The restaurant looked like your dining room at home with your people sitting around and talking to you. I haven’t seen a happier world. I was left wondering why we don’t live like this. I was left with a smile on my face and I was laughing at their stupid jokes. They took every effort to make me feel happy. I haven’t felt happier being with strangers who dint feel like strangers.
Driving back home I still had smile on my face. A happy day at Work. I was Feeling different. I was happy.                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment