Lisha Thimmaiah

Friday, July 19, 2013

Europe: Back in Vienna (Day 7)

I have been waiting for this weekend from days. On the D ‘day I felt lonely, wished I could have someone around. None of these feelings was going to help and bring someone to see me. L…I decide to start early for my Vienna tour. I wasn’t going to take a bus tour, I had decided I would do it on my own with a few maps in hand, walking around the streets and taking the metro.
 I had done a little bit of homework on the places to visit in Vienna. So I did have faint idea on a few things. With the previous weekend’s street exploring I had spotted the nearest metro station. A little discussion with the hotel receptionist I got to know where to go and how to use the metro etc.
I started off for my adventure. I took the Metro and reached the center. I was a little early, the streets were almost empty, and with some help I reach the main street. I landed right at the main “Mariahilfer Straße” shopping street in Vienna. Restaurants on one side of the foot path and shopping streets with “SALE” boards on the other side. I love streets like this. How tempting!!! I couldn’t resist shopping; I knew it’s going to be bad for my pocket. Spending in Euro’s is scary; I had to ignore the thoughts if had had to do my bit of shopping. Decided not to worry until I get to pay the credit card bills. Did a bit of shopping, some self photography and I was at the end street near the most famous MuseumQuartier.
Vienna's Kunsthistorisches Museum is absolutely incredible. The architecture the furniture, the paintings and every bit of this place is awesome. Since it was a Saturday I got to witness the band which plays in the Opera house. The music was awesome too. Walked down the streets to see the parliament house the Stephansdom church, Volksgarten and a few more places in my list and took the metro to the Nasch Market.
Nasch market is a famous open street market in Vienna which sells amazing sea food. As I reached the metro close to Nasch market I asked a few people for direction and landed in the wrong place. This happened quite a lot of times for me in Vienna. I was always given the wrong directions. But a few wrong directions did good to me as well. I landed in places with was worth going and was not in my listJJ and one of it was the Church of St. Charles Borromeo. This place so calm and has a beautiful fountain in front.
  Finally I decide to ask quite a few people and go with the most common direction. After a lot of walking I finally reached the Market. It was worth every bit of walking.
Crowded street with variety of shops and some amazing food. I stopped at a few places only to admire the stuff around. Couldn’t resist myself for long. Grabbed a piece of salmon with some shrimps for lunch and quickly explore the place.
It was past noon and had a bit of shopping to do. So I go back to Mariahilfer Straße shopping street and continued with my unfinished shopping. I couldn’t do much though. But it wasn’t bad either. I could at least manage to pick up a few stuff in my list.
End of the day my legs felt dead. It was too much of walking for me and I so badly wanted to get back to the hotel.
Had a lot of places to visit for the next days as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment